07 March 2021

Game blog, what game blog.

 It has been quite a while since I've posted here. It is time to resume some posting I think.

I have been playing in a weekly game of D&D 5e for the past three years or so, but my preference is still for the older rules.  I enjoy the low power curve, the fragility of the characters, and the real zero-to-hero narrative the old rules do so well.  

The older rules themselves are eminently hackable, that flexibility gives  a GM lots of room to make the game unique.  I find it's easier to make the game darker and scarier with the old rules, the characters are relatively easy to kill, so players need to think more in order to keep them alive.

I tried running Swords & Wizardry for a bit, I really liked it but only one of the other players was enjoying the game, so I scrapped it.

Ditto for Labyrinth Lord, tried running it for the 5e group a couple of times, but they were just not into it.

I put together another Labyrinth Lord group from folks who indicated some interest in playing the old style.  The game has been running for something over 30 sessions and I figure I have another 15 to 20 sessions before I wrap the campaign. 

So, anyway, I'm going to try blogging about gaming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment